Sunday, February 8, 2009

"I'm here to give you Strength!"

Have you ever examined a lettuce leaf? I'm talking about a leaf from the nutrient rich Romaine, cos lettuce. Deep, dark green at the head with the colors fading into lighter shades until it becomes a crisp white at the bottom. Like a pulsating heart, the deep ridges seem to cry out, "I am here to give you strength!"

In deed, romaine lettuce is packed with nutrients. Hey, it's green, need I say more? It's got vitamins A, C, K , and dietary fiber,for example. (Note: Iceberg lettuce has less...) Because of it's high fiber, it helps with digestion. And, remember, around 2 cups of these lovely leaves comes with 40mg of calcium....

Did you know? Lettuce originated in the Mediterranean area, and the Ancient Greeks thought that it induced sleep, so they would serve it at the end of the meal. And it's believed that lettuce was brought to the New World by Christopher Columbus.

Knock yourself out by making your own salad. And instead of waiting for the end of the meal like the Greeks, just have it throughout your meal!
Throw in some tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, walnuts, and whatever good stuff you can find. Dress it with leomon juice and oil.

But before you dig in...Please, please don't forget to appreciate and relish the luscious-ness and the scrumptious-ness of this dark green beauty!

G-d bless!

Check it out yourself...
at the local supermarket/health food store

3 comments:

The First Domino דומינו said...

Chaya, I'm switching tomorrow.
I like your description of the romaine! Do you write poetry or fiction?

Anyway, it seems that the Ancient Greeks had a remarkable ad campaign going on in their markets, too:

"...the Ancient Greeks thought that it induced sleep, so they would serve it at the end of the meal."

Cilantro said...

Poetry/fiction?
Well, only when I was a kid, I use to write somewhat, but not really now.

But it's not me, Domino! It's the romaine! Oh, that romaine!!!!

lol

The First Domino דומינו said...

"But it's not me, Domino! It's the romaine! Oh, that romaine!!!!

You've made a believer of me!